managing transition.

When clients hire me, they're looking for someone that can help them manage one of the most difficult transitions of their life.  It doesn't matter if the transition is a positive one and they're buying their first home or if it's a difficult one and they're getting divorced and selling the only home their children have ever known.  Transition sucks.

I've been told that I do a pretty good job of helping people stay calm, stay focused, and stay positive throughout the whole process.

This week I wish I could hire that version of myself to help with these upcoming transitions in my own household.  You see, my oldest child is graduating next week and my baby is graduating in one year and one week and I'm kind of losing my mind.

I'm a strong person (what redhead isn't??), but this transition from a household with two children, to a household with one senior in high school and one college student (and the husband 2.0, but he's not going anywhere) is a weird one for me to even consider.

For eighteen years, my children have been the motivator for most of my decisions, and definitely the subject of this blog: What hospital has the best labor and delivery? (I was wrong.)  What school district has the best schools? (Littleton!)  Where should we live?  What kindergarten teacher is the best? (Mary Haney!) What middle school is the best? (There isn't one, middle school just needs to be survived.)  How can I help them survive my divorce?  Can I juggle dating and single parenting?  Will they be okay with me getting remarried?

And now....they're almost done.  I know that they're not done needing me, I know that they're still going to call for advice (or money) and support (or money).  I just know that this is a transition.

And I'm scared.  And I'm excited. And I'm nauseous. And I'm sad. And I'm elated. And I will get through this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 years, but not really

Widowing - Year One

Welcome to widowhood.